httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <>
Subject Re: Releases, showstoppers, and vetos
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2002 21:02:39 GMT
From: "Rodent of Unusual Size" <Ken.Coar@Golux.Com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2002 2:53 PM

> Greg Marr wrote:
> >
> > I read that last sentence as: "An issue becomes a showstopper when
> > it is listed as such in STATUS, and remains one until someone vetoes
> > it, at which time it is no longer a showstopper. ..."
> I think that's bogus, too.  If someone thinks something is serious
> enough to stop a release, they should be no more overridable than
> any other block (read: veto).  I find the idea of being able
> to veto a showstopper completely ludicrous. :-)

WRONG.  You are proposing that one individual may block a release.  That
is diametrically opposed to the spirit of HTTP.  We are [now] treating
showstoppers in 2.0 as sancrosect.  That means they can be overridden.
It does not mean they may be removed from STATUS, they may be moved from
SHOWSTOPPERS to NEEDS A FIX.  But one individual cannot block the progress
of the Apache HTTP Project.  If they can, it's time for a heated debate
in pmc@, followed by board approval of a new charter for this project.

View raw message