httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: more minor 2.0.31 breakage
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2002 03:33:18 GMT
From: "Stas Bekman" <stas@stason.org>
Sent: Monday, February 04, 2002 8:39 PM

> Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
>
> > Greg Ames wrote:
> >
> >>I just noticed that autoindex listings from apache.org no
> >>longer display the folder icon for directories.  You see
> >>a '?' icon instead.  The Rodent tells me there's some kind
> >>of magic type that mod_autoindex uses to figure this out.
> >>Not debugged yet.
> >>

> > As an unsubstantiated WAG, I would guess that the subrequest
> > that's sent off to determine the content-type is running
> > afoul of mod_dir somehow, and S_ISDIR isn't set correctly
> > when it comes back.
>

> BTW, since you are talkinga about mod_autoindex, I don't recall that it
> was working this way before:
>
> I've uploaded a dir with files to apache.org/~stas/. as of that moment
> apache.org was running 2.0.28. I was trying to view apache.org/~stas/,
> all the files/dirs showed up, but not this new sub-dir. When I've tried
> to enter the new directory manually
> http://apache.org/~stas/modperl-site/ I've got 500 error. Looking at
> error_log revealed that I had a broken .htaccess in that directory. I
> don't understand why mod_autoindex won't display the directory in the
> index's listing.
>
> I think it's a bug. The sub-directory can be password-protected. Does it
> mean that mod_autoindex won't display it, since it'll fail to run the
> sub-request?

By design, for better or worse [feel free to debate here.]

The new logic [perhaps 1.3 as well, you would have to look] does a subrequest
on the /~stas/ url ... and decides it's broken [or inaccessable, or whatever]
and autoindex won't display it.  What's broken about not displaying things that
the user cannot access?

Bill