httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Stoddard" <b...@wstoddard.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/server/mpm/winnt mpm_winnt.c
Date Sat, 09 Feb 2002 00:42:18 GMT

> > Can we fix the service restart problem before we go making other
> changes
> > to the MPM?  I
> > see over the last few days there have been dozens of changes to the
> code,
> > none of which
> > are directed at fixing the service restart problem. All this monkeying
> > around with the
> > code does is obscure finding what patch introduced the problem.
> Bleh...
>
> I disagree completely.  The Windows MPM is fragile, because it is almost
> impossible to read.  Bill has been cleaning it up so that multiple
> people can easily modify the code and actually understand what is
> happening.
>
> Knowing how much time Bill has spent reading through that code, and
> trying to solve the underlying problem, I know that he believes he must
> clean the code before he can fix the actual bug.
>
> Ryan

I suggest spending time to learn about code before you begin hacking it up.  I've seen
this exact same pattern repeat itself in Apache 2.0 multiple times.  You and Bill have a
grand vision of 'how things should be', and start making changes. When you are done, what
once worked is broken and others are left to pick up the pieces and finish what you
started. Both you guys have done some really good things, don't get me wrong, but I am
frankly tired of picking up after you guys.

When I stopped work on the windows MPM, everything worked. I leave it alone for several
months, you guys come in and start changing things and you f*cked it up. A bit of testing
after every change would have caught the bug when it was first introduced. It's not too
much to ask that yuou finish what you start and understand what you are changing before
you change it. You CANNOT argue you did this with the Windows MPM, because clearly you did
not.

Bill