httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: Apache 2_0_31 is now rolled
Date Mon, 04 Feb 2002 05:55:23 GMT
From: "Ryan Bloom" <rbb@covalent.net>
Sent: Sunday, February 03, 2002 9:20 PM

> From: Jim Jagielski [mailto:jim@jaguNET.com]
>
> > IIRC the comment was based on having
> > tarballs too frequently as a matter of course, not neccesarily because
> > of this type of situation. I think we all agree that once a tarball
> > is "public" (meaning that non-developers have the *potential* of
> > grabbing it) if there's something wrong with it, we have to bump
> > before we reroll.
>
> I would vote in favor of having a developer only place to grab it then.
> The mail to ask people to test should go to the list of httpd
> committers.

One interesting thought for aspiring RMs... checkout.  It's -dev.  Post to
committers@httpd, ask if it's a good tag.  Discover bugs.  Get bugs fixed.

After enough folks are happy for your goals (alpha? beta? gold?) then go
ahead and update the version and tag THAT CHECKOUT.

Nobody ever saw a 2.x.x non-dev version string.  Everything is as safe as
can be... what you tag is what folks said actually worked, and life goes on.

More work by the RM, of course, but we are itching for _good_ tags, and
anyone stepping up to RM 2.x is in it for the long haul...

...great effort Ian!  [no, not sarcastic, it was a noble effort!!!]  :)

Bill