httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ryan Bloom" <...@covalent.net>
Subject RE: cvs commit: httpd-2.0 STATUS
Date Wed, 13 Feb 2002 14:53:50 GMT
> > FWIW, my JRE_1 tag does *not* have this change.  rbb and I agreed
> > that it wasn't necessary to have the signal-less worker MPM in any
> > beta as it doesn't affect modules.  It also gives time to stablize
> > problems like these.
>
> yep...  roll on...
>
> unclear what problem was actually being fixed by getting rid of
> signals anyway (though that is a misnomer; you don't get rid of
> signals on Unix)

There were two problems

1)  Signals suck in threaded apps on Unix, and they also suck in
daemons.  We had a lot of magic in the code to make sure that the signal
got to the correct thread and that it was able to do something with it.
Today, we got rid of the magic, because we don't use signals to
communicate between parent and child.

2)  We used to do a non-blocking read at the start of every request on a
pipe that was usually empty.  That was a waste of a syscall.  By
removing the signal thread, I was able to move the POD checking to a
single location, and now we have one thread that just listens for
information from the parent and decides what to do with it.

Ryan