httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ryan Bloom" <...@covalent.net>
Subject RE: Apache 2_0_31 is now rolled
Date Mon, 04 Feb 2002 03:20:30 GMT
> From: Jim Jagielski [mailto:jim@jaguNET.com]
> Ryan Bloom wrote:
> >
> > Not long after the current tag/roll procedure was developed, we had
this
> > same situation, and Roy himself agreed that rolling more than once a
> > week discouraged people from testing the tarballs.
> >

> Not sure what this "Roy himself" comment means... like it's some sort
> of Voice From On High. When did the opinion of any one person, no
> matter who, become Gospel?

The "Roy himself" was merely because Roy was the person who proposed
this release model.  In my mind, that means that he understood it best
when we were first beginning to use it.

> IIRC the comment was based on having
> tarballs too frequently as a matter of course, not neccesarily because
> of this type of situation. I think we all agree that once a tarball
> is "public" (meaning that non-developers have the *potential* of
> grabbing it) if there's something wrong with it, we have to bump
> before we reroll.

I would vote in favor of having a developer only place to grab it then.
The mail to ask people to test should go to the list of httpd
committers.

Ryan