httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ryan Bloom" <...@covalent.net>
Subject RE: UseCanonicalName considered harmful
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2002 20:58:35 GMT
> Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> >
> > When enabled, UseCanonicalName causes the server to
> > create any server-self-referential URLs using the name
> > by which it knows itself -- as opposed to what the client
> > may have called it.  In many cases this is entirely
> > reasonable and good -- but it completely borks up the
> > ability to run on a non-default port.
>
> Sorry, possibly a bit of missing info here: the canonicalisation
> currently forces the use of the server's own name for itself,
> and the *default* port for the scheme (e.g., 80 for http:, 443
> for https:, ...).  If the server is listening only on port 8080,
> the canonicalisation process will result in a useless and incorrect
> URL.

Shouldn't we fix the canonicalisation then?  If you have configured your
server so that it can't be reached through the canonical name, then you
have an incorrect config.  The problem right now, is that if you don't
specify a port in the ServerName directive, we assume you want the
default port, instead of assuming you want whatever port your server is
configured for.  If we change our assumption to be the port that you
have configured your server for (which makes more sense IMO), then we
would have solved this bug, right?

Ryan