httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ryan Bloom" <...@covalent.net>
Subject RE: Apache 2_0_31 is now rolled
Date Sat, 02 Feb 2002 22:22:49 GMT

> > > +1 (for Apache 2)
> >
> > I disagree, strongly.  :-)  In this case, the tarball was rolled,
but it
> > was rolled incorrectly (my fault for not updating the how_to_release
> > site). The code was fine, but the tarball needed to be re-rolled.
IF
> > the code needed to be modified greatly, I would agree, but for a
simple
> > re-roll without changing code or tag, we don't need to bump version
> > numbers.
> >

> AFAIK, it's *always* been the policy that once rolled, if *anything*
> goes wrong, you have to bump. Even the how-to-release docs still
> say it. The *procedure* in httpd-2.0 may be obsoleted with
> httpd_roll_release
> but not that guideline.

My point is that I disagree with that.  We have been bumping tags on
files when releasing 2.0 since 2.0.16, and we aren't even talking about
bumping a tag here.  We are just talking about rolling the tarball on a
different machine than was originally used.  The code didn't change
between the original tarball and the second, just the machine used to do
the roll.

Ryan