httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: 2.0.32 as GA candidate? Re: [PROPOSAL] 2.0.32 beta announcement
Date Sat, 16 Feb 2002 16:22:42 GMT
From: "Cliff Woolley" <jwoolley@virginia.edu>
Sent: Saturday, February 16, 2002 12:56 AM

> On Fri, 15 Feb 2002, Brian Pane wrote:
>
> > I have one concern about 2.0.32 as a GA candidate.
> > In order to fix the last of the performance problems
> > in 2.0.x, we'll need to incorporate free lists for
> > buckets (the stuff that Cliff is working on).
>
> I have another: I consider the existence of APR_BRIGADE_NORMALIZE a GA
> showstopper.  We just cannot let filter developers think that clearing out
> a brigade of zero-length buckets is at all kosher IMO.  Yet another thing
> I have to dig back into this coming week...

Both good reasons to call .33 or .34 the GA release, based on Beta feedback.

And one last good reason [external API change] ... we were discussing the
deprecation of the apr_lock API in favor of the specific apr_lock objects
that Aaron has advanced.  I'm not sure of the status, but if we plan to do
so, that is another big change don't want to foist on the world after GA.

I thoroughly expect the apr group will want to call apr release 1.0 once
a major project [e.g. Apache or Subversion] releases a GA based upon it,
and work from there.

One thing this means is that all the ap_ -> apr_ compat.h changes probably
don't belong to the apr project at all, they belong to httpd-2.0/include.
APR will need to maintain their own apr_foo -> apr_bar changes in the
apr_ compat.h from 1.0 on forward.

Bill