httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: mod_deflate as a DSO on Solaris (perhaps generic?)
Date Sun, 06 Jan 2002 14:24:32 GMT
Albert Chin <new-httpd@thewrittenword.com> writes:

> On Sat, Jan 05, 2002 at 05:03:04PM -0800, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan 05, 2002 at 06:53:43PM -0600, Albert Chin wrote:
> > > You'll note that there is *no* -lz anywhere. So, I don't see how
> > > mod_deflate would ever get loaded. Looking at config.status, -lz is in
> > > EXTRA_LIBS. So:
> >
> > Correct.  We specify the libraries in EXTRA_LIBS when we build
> > httpd not when building the modules - the run-time link path comes
> > from the executable.  (Didn't we just go over this on another list?)
>
> Is that this thread on the libtool list?
>   http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/libtool/2001-November/005830.html
>
> It ended with Jeff saying he'd whip up a small test case but I don't
> know if one was ever submitted.

I sent one directly to RB.  The testcase was intended to show how
without run-time linking the scenario below was doomed to fail on AIX
unless an import file was used with apr-util to specify that it needed
to resolve apr functions from libapr.

  httpd -> libaprutil:some_function -> libapr:some_function.

I thought libtool should take care of the import list (I was hacking
up the aprutil build at the time to do that).  For AIX, it is clearly
documented that a shared library depending on another shared library
must be linked using an import file (unless using run-time linking)

Unfortunately, I didn't really convince RB of anything with the
testcase.  Meanwhile, I moved Apache+apr+aprutil to run-time linking
in order to use libtool like most other projects on AIX.

             Born in Roswell... married an alien...