httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/main http_core.c
Date Thu, 10 Jan 2002 13:12:24 GMT
Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.Coar@Golux.Com> writes:

> I *do* have a problem with what appears to be a non-technical
> veto, Roy.  2.0 isn't going to be out for months; even after it
> is take-up will take many more, and I dispute the statement that
> we're 'done' with 1.3.  Certainly there's little development
> being done on it, but I think that's a matter of temperament,
> not policy.  I do not see why functionality desired by existing
> users should be postponed indefinitely when it could be available
> now.

Since we're talking general principles...

Any improvements which require an API change need to be weighed against
the fact that an API change increases the effort required by Apache
1.3 users to pick up fixes, particularly those users which use
binary-only third-party modules.

No Apache user would want to wait for a crucial third-party module to
be rebuilt for the API change before being able to move to Apache
1.3.whatever to pick up a security fix.

             Born in Roswell... married an alien...