httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject info msg at startup if canonical port != a listen?
Date Thu, 24 Jan 2002 18:32:24 GMT
Typical newbie* problem:

  Listen 8080

  no ServerName or ServerName doesn't specify port 8080

With this config, certain self-referential URLs will fail.

Is there some way we can issue an info or warn message at startup if
we can tell that self-referential URLs are broken?

It is probably not possible to diagnose every possible problem
(vhosts), but we could avoid some newbie problems.

As far as the default conf:

  comment says "This can often be determined automatically..."

that is incorrect as I understand it

(unless the real fix is for the default ServerName to have a port
that corresponds to some actual Listen statement; if there is more
than one then we can't guess well, but maybe we should pick one and
issue a message to that effect)

By default we have

Listen @@Port@@

Shouldn't the commented-out ServerName have @@Port@@ for the port
instead of 80?

Also, isn't it appropriate to have comments near the Listen statement
to indicate that the port may need to be specified via ServerName as
well?

*fancy name for Jeff when he isn't very careful
             Born in Roswell... married an alien...