httpd-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/main http_core.c
Date Thu, 10 Jan 2002 16:06:47 GMT
Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.Coar@Golux.Com> writes:

> Jeff Trawick wrote:
> > 
> > No Apache user would want to wait for a crucial third-party module to
> > be rebuilt for the API change before being able to move to Apache
> > 1.3.whatever to pick up a security fix.
> 
> True enough.  Does that mean that you think major bumps should
> be verboten after the first security fix goes out?  Or after
> we go GA with any m.n.0 version?  Both are contrary to past
> behaviour.. :-)

neither...  I'm not even saying that major bumps should be verboten in
a series if we haven't shipped our last security fix :)  (yeah,
impossible anyway)

I just wanted a consideration of what we would lose with an API bump
vs. what we would gain.

start over...

Let A be the value to us and to Apache 1.3 users if they don't have to
deal with binary compatibility to move to some hypothetical new Apache 1.3
version that fixes some critical problem.

Let B be the value to us and to Apache 1.3 users from a new function
whose addition requires us to break binary compatibility.

If it isn't very clear that B is greater than A, then I don't think
such a change should go in.

-- 
Jeff Trawick | trawick@attglobal.net | PGP public key at web site:
       http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Park/9289/
             Born in Roswell... married an alien...

Mime
View raw message