httpd-dev mailing list archives

From <sterl...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: server/util.c
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2002 01:23:05 GMT
On Thu, 31 Jan 2002, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 04:55:30PM -0800, sterling@covalent.net wrote:
> > Hi -
> >
> > I don't recall if this has been proposed before, but I keep finding myself
> > wanting various string functionality that lives in server/util.c outside
> > of apache - what do you say we move it all to apr-util?  lots of COOL
> > functions in there (coincidentally written by rob mcCOOL).
>
> Please post patches for what you think is useful in other apps, and
> I'll definitely review them.  =)

huh?  what patches do you want?  those functions have nothing specifically
to do with apache, things like splitting strings, escaping quotes and the
like are useful for many many applications.  i simply suggested moving
server/util.c => srclib/apr-util/ somewhare and s/ap/apr/g the file.
aren't these kinds of functions what apr-util is for?

> On quick glance, some of util.c calls regex (i.e. pcre) which I'm
> not sure we want to add to apr-util, but that might not be an
> altogether bad idea, but shouldn't be done without some
> forethought.  -- justin

yeah, interesting point - that function could be kept in the apache tree
if pcre dependencies are unacceptable.  All the rest of the functions
belong in apr-util.

sterling