httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@ntrnet.net>
Subject Re: APR_BRIGADE_NORMALIZE
Date Tue, 22 Jan 2002 14:45:32 GMT
On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 20, 2002 at 10:36:47PM -0500, Cliff Woolley wrote:
> >
> > Can someone please remind me why APR_BRIGADE_NORMALIZE is absolutely
> > necessary?  It's only being used in one place AFAICT (in core.c), and as
> > far as I know, that just means there's a bug we're patching around rather
> > than fixing.  I was grudgingly okay with it until today, when it occurred
> > to me that removing all zero-length buckets would nuke any third-party
> > metadata buckets that might be in the brigade, meaning that it's a really
> > bad idea.

The reason for normalize was to make the code easier to read and
understand.  Every filter must be able to deal with 0 length buckets,
because nobody knows everytime that they will be inserted.  Remember that
just because we have written a core_input_filter, that doesn't mean it
will always be used, it is easy enough for anybody to replace it.  The
easiest way to deal with 0 length buckets is to remove them from the
brigade.  However, you are correct that there are a lot of problems with
just removing them, so we should fix the code instead of hacking around
it.

Ryan