httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dale Ghent <da...@elemental.org>
Subject Re: 1.3 weirdness with AcceptMutex on Solaris
Date Thu, 31 Jan 2002 23:32:55 GMT
On 31 Jan 2002, Jeff Trawick wrote:

| What is the actual symptom you see if you don't do that?

I don't know, i've always been adding to LIBS in the Makefile since I
started using HPSA in apache.

But we seem to only be using pthread_mutex_init(),
pthread_mutex_lock/unlock(), pthread_mutexattr_init(), and
pthread_mutexattr_setpshared().

If httpd is linked sans thread libs, then calling these functions should
always return true, but not actually acomplish anything intended.

Maybe this is the main source of heartache for people who try using HPSA
on Solaris?

| If a plug-in uses threads and httpd is bound (?) to some dummy thread
| routines in libc, doesn't that screw up the plug-in or confuse libpthread?
|
| Emperical results show that as long as httpd doesn't bind to dummy
| thread routines in libc the plug-in's use of threads is fine.

That meshes with what I observe with 'lsof' on a HPSA-enabled httpd-1.3.23
with PHP-4.1.1 - both of which are linked against the thread libs.

Never tried it with dummies in the parent and real fcns linked into the
plug-in. I don't think I want to :)

/dale