httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Zvi Har'El" ...@math.technion.ac.il>
Subject Missing Mime Type: image/x-icon
Date Sun, 20 Jan 2002 10:40:03 GMT
Hi,

Now that mozilla started supporting "favicons", I noticed that Apache's
mime.types file doesn't have the type image/x-icon for .ico files. Thus, sites
like yahoo or netscape, which use unknown and Netscape-Entreprise servers
respectively, return the correct content type on the /favicon.ico URL, while
others like apache or google, which use Apache and GWS servers respectively,
return text/plain on this URL. Although this content type is not registered at
IANA as far as I have been able to check, I do think it should be added to
Apache's mime.types file. In the mean time, I added the line "AddType
image/x-icon .ico" to my Apache server configuration file.

Sincerely,

Zvi.

--
Dr. Zvi Har'El     mailto:rl@math.technion.ac.il     Department of Mathematics
tel:+972-54-227607                   Technion - Israel Institute of Technology