httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject RE: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/docs/manual/mod mod_log_config.html
Date Thu, 10 Jan 2002 03:36:31 GMT

> From: Brian Pane [mailto:brian.pane@cnet.com]

> >Can you really benchmark speed differences between the two?
> >

> Yes.  And the difference is quite large.

You've tried out Apache with the two different methods of exclusion and
found that the LogExclude method results in a server that can serve
significantly more traffic?  I'm surprised!

> I'm mildly alarmed that we're actually advocating it as a general-purpose
> solution in the documentation URLs listed above; we really should warn
> readers that the processing cost scales linearly with the number of rules.

There are many directives in apache that work like this, including
name-virtual hosts, Redirects, Aliases, etc.  My guess is that for 99% of
cases, all these things put together are lost in the backround noise of
disk/network speed.

Now, for those 1% of cases where these things matter, I'm fully in favour of
designing fast-path shortcuts so that someone who wants a really fast, but
not too flexible, server can have it.  But we should try to do it in a way
that doesn't make configuration terribly complicated.

Joshua.