httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Justin C. Darby" <jda...@powercom.net>
Subject (Mac OS X Specific) Build failure -- with quick hack fix details.
Date Tue, 08 Jan 2002 22:50:15 GMT
(build options: --enable-so --enable-ssl)

Httpd-2.0 from cvs (taken today, 1/8/2002, 3:10pm CST) does not build due to
several problems, I'll list them below.

The srclib/apr-util/xml/expat/libtool script, fixing is as simple as
replacing "-undefined warning" with "-undefined error". This is not the
correct way of fixing this script, I know, but it works.

It also has problems with srclib/apr/libtool, it appears that removing
"-undefined warning" entirely works. Replacing it as above gives similar
problems. (Also not the correct way.. It works.)

The next problem is in srclib/apr-util, during the make process where it
attempts to build libaprutil.

On line 64 of the Makefile, I was able to fix it by changing:

tmpcmd="$(LINK) -rpath $(libdir) $$objects"; \

(After installing libapr and libexpat into /usr/local/apache2/lib so the
dynamic library crud in OS X can find it after the binary is built..)

tmpcmd="$(LINK) -rpath $(libdir) $$objects -L/usr/local/apache2/lib -lexpat
-lapr"; \

I also had to symlink /usr/local/apache2/lib/ ->
/usr/local/apache2/bin/.libs, because httpd is looking for libraries that
only existed in .libs during build time.

This seems very kludgy. I would've submitted a patch of some kind, but I
wanted to see if anyone else knew of a cleaner way to fix this. I'll try to
write a real fix for the scripts and Makefile.in if it's of use. I may just
be a moron (it happens). The above steps do seem to result in a fully
functional build, however. I haven't tried any other MPM except the default
(I need to easily debug the module I'm writing, so it's what's of use to
me).

A side note, places of the build seem to assume all systems are using 'gcc',
as the name of the compiler binary. Out of the box, OS X's compiler is 'cc'.

I can only assume this also affects Darwin ppc/x86 as well, due to the
nature of the problems. It's most likely related to enabling dynamic
libraries. OpenSSL, if built from source, works fine with mod_ssl.

If anyone has suggestions on a cleaner way to fix this, I'll happily take
them and make a patch, if needed.

Anyone make any progress with a case-insensitivity patch/module yet? If no
one else is working on one ... I haven't heard either way.

Building for OS X is just a toy for me, I can always install Debian on my
Mac.

Is OS X just broken, perhaps? :)

Justin C. Darby
Powercom Corp.