httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: mod_negotiation/dir subrequest problem [was: Tagging .31 soon]
Date Thu, 31 Jan 2002 19:19:14 GMT
"William A. Rowe, Jr." wrote:

> > Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> >
> > No, I don't think this stops a roll by any means -- but it
> > *does* stop it from being GA.
>
> Is the bug in 1.3?  Then what's the showstopper?

Apache, being a reference implementation of the HTTP RFCs, is
in violation of the protocol.  Or was, until I fixed it.

> So it's a bug.  It's no WORSE than 1.3.  I'd love to see it fixed,
> but since it is the same back in 1.3, it doesn't keep 2.0 from being
> 'the best version available' - our general guideline for a GA release.

Because we did something wrong in a previous version doesn't
grant licence to continue doing it wrong, particularly when
the earlier versions were in error without being noticed.  Once
it's been spotted, it takes a conscious decision to say, "Let's
ignore this protocol violation brokenness."

> So go fix it already :)

Done.

It's not just a matter of prefixing the substitution string
with the original net-path info; consider

RedirectMatch /foo/(.*) $1

where the expected incoming requests are for URIs like
'http://x.com/foo/http://bar.com/'.  (And I've seen some
like this, alas.)  Sticking the local netpath on the front
of the substitution string, which is valid as it stands,
will break it.

If someone wants to enhance fixup_redir() to do a check
for leading '/' after the alias lookup has been done, and
*then* add the prefix, that would be goodness.  But that's
where the UseCanonicalName what's-the-right-netpath problem
comes in -- which took us months to get right.
--
#ken	P-)}

"Millenium hand and shrimp!"