httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Ames <grega...@remulak.net>
Subject Re: Expires: header prevents caching
Date Tue, 22 Jan 2002 19:22:02 GMT
Greg Ames wrote:

> I tested the URL that Andrzej mentions below.  Sho 'nuf, the value of the
> Expires: headers we send is exactly the same as the value of the Date: header.
> RFC 2616 says the content can't be cached by proxies in this case.

OK, I see what's happening:

[gregames@daedalus apache]$ ls /www/httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/core*
/www/httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html.en
/www/httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html.fr
/www/httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html.html

mod_negotiation is turning off caching because there are multiple versions of
that document.  We wouldn't want squid to cache an English version of the
document and serve it to a French client.

Greg