httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Pane <bp...@pacbell.net>
Subject Re: reason for the segfaults during graceful shutdown of worker MPM
Date Sat, 12 Jan 2002 17:25:30 GMT
Greg Stein wrote:

>On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 09:10:13PM -0800, Brian Pane wrote:

>>Is there any reason why the ptrans pool needs to be a child of
>>tpool?  If we can use a null parent for ptrans, this problem should
>>go away.
>>

>null parents are ugly. isn't there another pool that has the right lifetime
>for that pool?

There isn't a pool with the right lifetime in the current
worker design.  The safe pool to use as the parent would be
the worker thread's pool, but the listener thread doesn't
have a way to use that pool for the accept.  In Aaron's
"time-space tradeoff" variant of the worker design, it's
possible to use the worker thread's pool as the parent of
the transaction pool, but the "time-space tradeoff" code
hasn't fared as well as the current design in performance
testing.

--Brian