httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Ames <grega...@remulak.net>
Subject Re: FreeBSD load statistics.
Date Fri, 11 Jan 2002 22:23:29 GMT
Brian Pane wrote:

> Greg Ames wrote:

> >An interesting theory.  But it doesn't explain the high numbers of CPU ticks
> >I've recorded for trivial requests, nor does it explain the top Brian B sent us
> >with two httpd's both using over 50% of the CPU for a while
> >

> It might explain the high number of CPU ticks for simple requests if
> a lot of processes are hitting, say, a spin lock at the same time.  But
> the two httpds using 50% of the CPU are definitely something different.

OK, spin locks sound like a reasonable explanation.  I'm surprised that they
spin that long though.

I have 2_0_28 with cpu logging up now on port 8092.  I ran log replay against
it, and saw one simple request that used 221 cpu ticks (1.7 sec).  Everything
else was 20 ticks or less.  So either this happens all the time and is a red
herring, or this build has got the problem too.  I suspect it's the former, but
will put it into production later to be sure.

> We really need some data on what's happening in those processes on daedalus.

Yessir.  I'd love it if there were something like ktrace that wrote to a big
array in memory (i.e. not to a file) that we could grab if the run queue
exceeded, say, 180.

Greg