httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Holsman <>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/docs/manual/mod mod_log_config.html
Date Thu, 10 Jan 2002 01:43:48 GMT
Joshua Slive wrote:

>>From: []
>>ianh        02/01/09 17:03:41
>>  Modified:    modules/loggers mod_log_config.c
>>               docs/manual/mod mod_log_config.html
>>  Log:
>>  new option LogExcludeByType
>>  main use is so that you can ignore logging images
> Hmmm... I'm pretty close to a -1 on this one.  We were just discussing
> simplifying the logging directives, while this will compilicate them for no
> good reason.  Can you justify why this is an improvement over
> and
> ?

I guess the answer is mainly a speed one.

setenvif is a regex call while this isn't.

if you would do it via setenvif it would require 3 or 4 regex calls per
request. (assuming you want to block only some image types)

the other issue is the SetEnvIf can't match on mime-types (;)) and the
way it is hooked in would require a seperate directive to do it as
setEnvIF is called post_read_request and in the header_pasrser BEFORE
the type is set. which would mean another directive in SetEnvIF, or
running the hook >3< times per request (yuk) or changing which hook it
is run on (which is a bigger problem I'm sure)

> If your answer is "SetEnvIf can't match on MIME-type", then why don't you
> extend SetEnvIf to do that?  If you do it your way, I guarentee we will have
> people screeming for directives like "LogExcludeByRemoteHost",
> "LogExcludeByURL", etc.  I don't see any need for that when we have a
> perfectly good and flexible system for conditional logging already.
> Joshua.

View raw message