httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Pane <brian.p...@cnet.com>
Subject Re: 2.0.29 high load avg
Date Wed, 09 Jan 2002 22:58:17 GMT
Greg Ames wrote:

>Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

>>This type of behavior sounds like there is a global lock that is
>>being held by one process that causes everyone to wait.  Once that
>>lock is released, everyone finishes.  -- justin
>>

>hmmm, that's an interesting theory.  It would definitely spike the run queue,
>and might cause visible cpu spikes.  But in daedalus's case, I don't know what
>the global lock equivalent would be.

On FreeBSD, is there a way to look at the syscalls active within the
kernel at a point in time?  On Solaris, running "adb -k" and using the
"$<threadlist" macro will give a stack trace of each thread in the
kernel--a mix of internal kernel threads and the threads executing the
internal implementation of each currently executing syscall.  If you
have something similar in FreeBSD, it should show whether daedalus has
a lot of syscalls blocked on, say, some global mutex within the kernel.

--Brian