httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Ames <>
Subject Re: 2.0.29 high load avg
Date Wed, 09 Jan 2002 22:42:58 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> Yeah, I see "mutex" in the STATE column.  walla is a FreeBSD-CURRENT
> system that at that point was running with prefork (threads
> disabled).  (It's also the box where I'm doing worker/thread testing.)
> I can state that I've seen similar behavior "RUN" for all briefly,
> then select, accept, etc.

I never see "mutex", but daedalus's production config listens on port 80 only,
so there's no accept mutex.  Was walla listening on multiple ports?

> This type of behavior sounds like there is a global lock that is
> being held by one process that causes everyone to wait.  Once that
> lock is released, everyone finishes.  -- justin

hmmm, that's an interesting theory.  It would definitely spike the run queue,
and might cause visible cpu spikes.  But in daedalus's case, I don't know what
the global lock equivalent would be.

View raw message