httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Pane <brian.p...@cnet.com>
Subject Re: 2.0.29 high load avg
Date Wed, 09 Jan 2002 03:52:52 GMT
Greg Ames wrote:

>as I mentioned in another post, 2.0.29 also seems to have the high load average
>problem.  The run queue size numbers displayed by vmstat weren't quite as
>extreme as what I saw yesterday pm, which may be because there's less traffic in
>the evening.  But then the load averages displayed by top gradually built up
>until they were much higher than what we see with 2_0_28.
>
>anyway, there's a piece of the access log with the cpu counter at the end of
>each record at http://apache.org/~gregames/log.29.sorted .  This is sorted in
>descending order of cpu usage, with the record for the physically biggest file
>appended to the front, and everthing that used less than 3 ticks eliminated.
>The biggest file looks a lot like last time, 9.8MB which took 26 cpu ticks to
>serve.  The biggest cpu hog was a 1283 byte html file which took 122 cpu ticks
>to serve (nearly a second).  I don't see any pattern to the requests that are
>the big cpu users.

If you pick one of the URLs with a high CPU utilization from this log
like http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/manual/CoreTasks/echo.html , and send
that server (or a copy of the same config on another port) a ton of
requests for that same URL, one at a time, do they all use a similarly
large amount of CPU time?  If so, then we'll have a nice, repeatable
case to debug.

--Brian