httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Pane <>
Subject Re: APACHE_2_0_30 tagged
Date Wed, 09 Jan 2002 02:17:32 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

>On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 04:20:40PM -0800, Brian Pane wrote:
>>Don't we already know that it's not beta-quality, based on the
>>problems with 2.0.30 on daedalus?
>I thought that the problems on daedalus were related to CGIs
>reading one char at a time?  Wouldn't a simple change to make
>the CGIs use buffering (at the APR-level) solve this?  -- justin

The single-byte reads for CGI headers definitely are bad, but they
were in 2.0.28 too, and that didn't have the problems that .30 does.
So the root cause is probably something else.

Regarding a fix for the single-byte reads, I agree that we should
add buffering.  I posted some notes on fixing this in the httpd
code last Friday (subject: "CGI single-byte reads  Re: 2.0.30-dev
load spiking [was: upgrade to FreeBSD 4.5-PRERELEASE]"), although
changing APR to allow buffering on pipes might work just as well.

View raw message