httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Pane <bp...@pacbell.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/modules/loggers mod_log_config.c
Date Sun, 06 Jan 2002 20:49:21 GMT
Ben Laurie wrote:

>brianp@apache.org wrote:
>
>>brianp      02/01/06 00:01:34
>>
>>  Modified:    modules/loggers mod_log_config.c
>>  Log:
>>  Bypass a strdup and an 8KB local variable in the common case where
>>  the logger is using the default time format
>>

>Does that really stop the stack space from being allocated? It seems
>unlikely to me (I haven't checked).

You're right.  I just checked, and it didn't stop the space
from being allocated.  I'll move that branch of the code to
separate function so that it really works.  (The alternative
would be to alloc that buffer from a pool, allocating 8KB
from a pool would cause its own set of problems, because a
typical pool block doesn't have enough free space to handle
an alloc that large, so we'd often be allocating a new,
odd-sized block.)

--Brian