httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Ames <grega...@remulak.net>
Subject Re: 2.0.30-dev load spiking [was: upgrade to FreeBSD 4.5-PRERELEASE]
Date Thu, 03 Jan 2002 19:37:57 GMT
Aaron Bannert wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 11:56:26AM -0500, Greg Ames wrote:
> > I do see some weirdness in 2.0.30 with www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi -
> > it looks like we're doing one byte reads from the pipe to the cgi.  I
> > don't know yet if 2_0_28 does the same.

2_0_28 does the same, so that's not it.  (sigh)  But it sure looks
broken.  I put new trusses of just running that cgi on both levels in
http://www.apache.org/~gregames

> I don't think that would spike the run queue more than 1, no?

I'm thinking that we've got something that burns CPU like crazy for a
while, then stops.  If in the mean time normal I/O is completing, the
kernel would be adding things to the run queue at a normal rate.
Process just wouldn't leave the run queue as quickly as they normally
do.

Greg