httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Kraemer <Martin.Krae...@Fujitsu-Siemens.com>
Subject Re: mod_cgi on 1.3 question
Date Thu, 31 Jan 2002 22:39:29 GMT
On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 05:33:19PM -0500, Bill Stoddard wrote:
> mod_cgi.c on 1.3 makes this call:
>
> if ((retval = ap_setup_client_block(r, REQUEST_CHUNKED_ERROR)))
>   return retval;
>
> If I understand this, a browser cannot send chunked content to a cgi on the server. Why
> not use  REQUEST_CHUNKED_DECHUNK?

Maybe Because the size of the chunks is a kind-of meta information
which will be lost by dechunking? REQUEST_CHUNKED_DECHUNK means you
willingly accept to lose that meta information.

Better reason:
Because many CGI's rely on the Content-Length for uploaded data. For
chunked encoding, the length is unknown until all data have been received.
And we don't dechunk them to a file, but we pipe them to the module (which
has chosen REQUEST_CHUNKED_DECHUNK if it can live with the missing C-L).

Other reasons?

   Martin
--
<Martin.Kraemer@Fujitsu-Siemens.com>         |     Fujitsu Siemens
Fon: +49-89-636-46021, FAX: +49-89-636-47655 | 81730  Munich,  Germany