httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: Version numbering
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2002 01:46:02 GMT
On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 08:33:55PM -0500, Bill Stoddard wrote:
> I don't have an issue with the numbering, but bouncing 2.0.* to GA to alpha and back
again
> will be confusing as hell to a lot of people, especially to folks who develop and sell
> specialized Apache modules (RSA ClearTrust, Netegrity Siteminder, Vignette, etc)

I also don't have an issue with numbering (someone decided to start a
2.0.1 for the "apache 2.0 release" before I showed up), but I have a
small comment.

Perhaps we continue making betas and alphas until we finally get a gold.
As soon as we get a gold, there are no more betas or alphas released
under that major.minor number. We continue in the same fashion, but
if we get a tag we don't like, we don't release it at all (this is
my interpretation of 1.3 currently).

Then, a certain undermined amount of time after we release our first
major.minor release (in this case, 2.0.x), we branch to the development
tree and start the cycle over.

my 2ยข,
-aaron