httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: httpd and utils should use static libraries
Date Wed, 30 Jan 2002 19:11:16 GMT
On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 12:00:23PM -0500, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> Aaron Bannert wrote:
> >
> > I've already added this for our various support binaries:
> > --enable-static-htpasswd
>
> Having to explicitly specify this to make it happen is not on;
> it needs to be the default.  Having to specify for each individual
> util is also bogus; there should be a switch, defaulting to
> enabled, which provides a default setting for any
> --{en,dis}able-static-* options that are omitted.
> As long as our build process uses private copies of apr
> and apr-util, linking httpd statically against them needs
> to be the default case.  When we go to using a system installation
> of apr (i.e., a standalone library already installed, rather
> than our private copy), I agree -- in such a case the default
> should be to use the library dynamically.  And at that point
> the utils can be linked that way as well.

I could definately go for a blanket --enable-static/--disable-static
for our support modules, and even for httpd, but I'm not convinced
that it needs to be static by default. Will we link each of our
shared DSOs against a static APR as well? How will third-party
modules link against APR, statically or dynamically? What APR
library types will we install in each case?

-aaron