httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: httpd and utils should use static libraries
Date Wed, 30 Jan 2002 15:43:36 GMT
On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 09:00:06PM -0500, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> httpd, htpasswd, htdigest, and the other main applications need
> to be built with static libraries.  In other words, they must
> not be linked against libapr.so and friends.
>
> Why?  Because otherwise we make life difficult for users, and
> make violation of the Principle of Least Astonishment a virtual
> certainty.

I've already added this for our various support binaries:
--enable-static-htpasswd

I see no reason why we couldn't do the same for httpd. I agree that it
may make life easier for binbuild users, but I'm totally against doing
this always, if not merely for the fact that we're trying to make APR
a standalone library.

-aaron