httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: [HEAD] --with-mpm=worker under FreeBSD 4.5 does nothing?
Date Thu, 24 Jan 2002 18:18:59 GMT
On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 09:19:45AM -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Jan 2002, Aaron Bannert wrote:
>
> > > Now, does apache2 *require* shared memory, or can I set all of the above
> > > to zero, and it will work around the limitation?

Setting them all to zero will fail on Unix.

> > If you wish to run apache with multiple processes, then shared memory
> > is necessary.
>
> How did Apache1 deal with this?  It ran multiple processes, but had no
> shared memory requirement ...

I'm sorry, I should have been more clear. By "shared memory" I also
included things like mmap()ing a common file, which from my perspective
is just another type of shared memory. Those types are:

APR_USE_SHMEM_MMAP_TMP  (file-based)
APR_USE_SHMEM_MMAP_SHM  (file-based)
APR_USE_SHMEM_MMAP_ZERO (anonymous)
APR_USE_SHMEM_MMAP_ANON (anonymous)

The SYSV types that you have disabled in your chroot jail are probably these
two:

APR_USE_SHMEM_SHMGET_ANON
APR_USE_SHMEM_SHMGET

-aaron