httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: load spikes revisited
Date Thu, 17 Jan 2002 02:04:20 GMT
On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 08:54:34PM -0500, Greg Ames wrote:
> Anyway, there's about 20 seconds worth of ktrace output at
> http://www.apache.org/~gregames/ktrace.  We might have some kind of thundering
> herd problem - I see a whole bunch of unproductive context switches about the
> time a select pops.

You mentioned that daedalus doesn't use any AcceptMutex.  I tried to
find your config files, but couldn't find any reference to
AcceptMutex (in /usr/local/apache*).  Could we try httpd with some
locking mechanism?  (I'm guessing you use modified code to bypass
AcceptMutex.)

Based on looking at daedalus over the weekend, I saw the run-queue
spike up to 50 - this should have been with 2.0.28, so I think this
load spike problem happens with that version as well.

Another thing to try would be to update icarus's httpd to 2.0.28
or HEAD and see how it fares.  It should handle all of the ViewCVS
traffic, but I think icarus has identical HW/OS setup to
daedalus.  (I can't seem to reproduce it here.)  -- justin