httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: Apache 2.0.28 memory growth issue.
Date Fri, 11 Jan 2002 16:41:30 GMT
On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 10:22:45AM -0500, Chris Williams wrote:
> I am running apache 2.0.28 on Solaris 8 with the worker MPM.  I am seeing
> memory growth when I use flood to hammer apache when just serving up static
> pages.  I have had flood running with 250 farmers constantly running the
> past hour and the growth of the httpd processes using the ps command has
> gone from 4200 to 15000 when using the RSS value from ps.  Was this growth
> normal in 2.0.28?  I know the latest tagged version is 2.0.30 and wonder if
> I should try and get it setup on my Solaris box(doesn't have libtool and
> other stuff needed to build from CVS).  Is/was this a known issue and will
> upgrading to a version later than 2.0.28 help?

Memory leaks and unbounded memory growth in the worker MPM is not
something that I've seen nor something that I've heard reported to the
list recently.

Keep in mind that the multithreaded MPMs will by their very nature have
higher memory requirements than their single-threaded counterparts. I
regularly see memory usage in the range you've reported. Yesterday
while running with 500 threads, I can report that httpd was using 23M
(20M RSS).  If you consider that 500 prefork processes would take on
the order 500*N, where N is usually 3-5MB, then this is a *significant*
decrease in memory requirements -- which was one of the major goals of
the hybrid multiprocess/ multithreaded httpd model.

-aaron