httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: FreeBSD load statistics.
Date Thu, 10 Jan 2002 23:58:37 GMT
On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 11:55:21PM -0800, Brian Pane wrote:
> My hypothesis upon seeing these numbers is that the high run queue length
> is due to us hitting some bottleneck in the kernel on daedalus--and because
> post-2.0.28 releases waste less time in usr-space code between syscalls,
> they hit that kernel bottleneck a lot harder than 2.0.28 did.

Yes, that is my current thought.  From everything I can tell,
post-2.0.28 is far superior than 2.0.28.

FWIW, Aaron was telling me that he remembers seeing high run-queue
lengths on machines with failing hard drives.  Can anyone reproduce
this behavior (high run-queue with idle CPU) on any other machines?
Perhaps we could perform some testing on icarus (which should be a
daedalus clone).

It seems I'm not reproducing this.  We won't be able to resolve
any problem unless we can reproduce this in controlled
environments.  *sigh*  -- justin