httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: 2.0.29 high load avg
Date Wed, 09 Jan 2002 19:58:33 GMT
On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 10:19:11AM -0500, Greg Ames wrote:
> do you see the "Mutex" wait in the STATE column?  and is walla FreeBSD
> w/prefork?  when this gets really bad on daedalus, top shows "RUN" in the state
> column for most of the httpd's briefly, then after the screen refreshes you see
> more normal waits - select or accept, for example.

Yeah, I see "mutex" in the STATE column.  walla is a FreeBSD-CURRENT
system that at that point was running with prefork (threads
disabled).  (It's also the box where I'm doing worker/thread testing.)
I can state that I've seen similar behavior "RUN" for all briefly,
then select, accept, etc.

This type of behavior sounds like there is a global lock that is
being held by one process that causes everyone to wait.  Once that
lock is released, everyone finishes.  -- justin