httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: 2.0.29 high load avg
Date Wed, 09 Jan 2002 04:07:19 GMT
On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 10:18:18PM -0500, Greg Ames wrote:
> as I mentioned in another post, 2.0.29 also seems to have the high load average
> problem.  The run queue size numbers displayed by vmstat weren't quite as
> extreme as what I saw yesterday pm, which may be because there's less traffic in
> the evening.  But then the load averages displayed by top gradually built up
> until they were much higher than what we see with 2_0_28.

Well, I can reproduce it locally just by asking for the manuals
with flood:

jerenkrantz@walla% uptime
 8:05PM  up 11:51, 3 users, load averages: 22.64, 9.35, 3.76

Looking further into it now.  Of interest in the top output is that
a lot of process are "Mutex" wait.  I need to double check nothing
is using NFS first though.  All of the time is sys time calls.
Looks like this is what daedalus is seeing...  -- justin