httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: Running Apache in the foreground
Date Tue, 08 Jan 2002 07:27:53 GMT
On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 10:54:48PM -0800, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 10:53:00PM -0800, Jos Backus wrote:
> > this may not be desired behavior. So maybe we should factor out the
> > setpgid()/setsid() part into its own function (apr_proc_newsessid()?) and call
> > it instead of apr_proc_detach() when using NO_DETACH?  (apr_proc_detach()
> > would also call this new function.)
>
> Precisely my thoughts.  IMHO, split it out.  (The name is a bit
> iffy, but we can work on that...)  -- justin

I think we should take the fork() stuff out of apr_proc_detach()
instead. Detach is doing what it's supposed to, creating a new session
(and therefore detaching from the controlling terminal). The only way
it can reliably do that is if it is not a pgrp leader. IMO the way
to handle this is to let apr_proc_deatch() assume it is already a
non pgrp leader and put the fork() calls that ensure this outside.
Another option is to have apr_proc_deatch() simply check if it is
the pgrp leader, and if so to only then call the fork.

-aaron