httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: Emacs stanza?
Date Sun, 06 Jan 2002 22:22:38 GMT
On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 04:50:06PM -0500, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> I don't know how many people use Emacs to edit the Apache stuff,
> but would anyone object to a stanza at the bottom of the source
> files to help put Emacs in the right stylistic mood?  To wit,
> something like:

I don't know if this got purposely resent on the 6th, but I'll
chime in now and say that I think this isn't a good idea at all.
I think you should be able to configure your editor yourself.  =)

However, if you *must* do this (I don't think you should at all,
but I'll stop short of a veto), I'd think it'd be a better idea
to follow SVN's convention by adding this to all files:

 * local variables:
 * eval: (load-file "../emacs-style")
 * end:
 */

Where ../emacs-style is obviously the relative path to emacs-style.
This way we can change the global style by just modifying
emacs-style rather than all files.  And, it allows some useful
macros in emacs-style.

FWIW, I don't use emacs...  Go vi.  =)  -- justin