httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Albert Chin <new-ht...@thewrittenword.com>
Subject Re: mod_deflate as a DSO on Solaris (perhaps generic?)
Date Sat, 05 Jan 2002 23:50:00 GMT
On Sat, Jan 05, 2002 at 09:03:21AM -0500, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> Albert Chin <new-httpd@thewrittenword.com> writes:
>
> > > Cannot load /export/home/trawick/apacheinst/modules/mod_deflate.so
> > > into server: ld.so.1: httpd: fatal: relocation error: file
> > > /export/home/trawick/apacheinst/modules/mod_deflate.so: symbol
> > > deflateInit2_: referenced symbol not found
> >
> > What is the output of:
> >   $ ldd /export/home/trawick/apacheinst/modules/mod_deflate.so
>
> % ldd /export/home/trawick/apacheinst/modules/mod_deflate.so
>         libc.so.1 =>     /usr/lib/libc.so.1
>         libdl.so.1 =>    /usr/lib/libdl.so.1

How did mod_deflate.so get linked?

> > Not all systems allow you to link a static library into a shared one
> > (HP-UX for example). If httpd doesn't link in libz, you'll have to
> > either include the source to libz and make it a libtool convenience
> > library that gets linked to mod_deflate or link the "system" libz as a
> > shared library.
>
> Can you clarify what you mean by linking the "system" libz as a shared
> library?  How is this done since Solaris doesn't seem to provide
> libz.a?  (I assume you're talking about /usr/lib/libz.so.)

Tru64 UNIX has /usr/lib/libz.a but no /usr/shlib/libz.so, IRIX has
/usr/lib/libz.a and /usr/lib/libz.so, and Solaris has /usr/lib/libz.so
but no /usr/lib/libz.a.

It should be ok to -lz on Solaris as /usr/lib/libz.so will be picked
up (no different than mod_deflate.so currently depending on
/usr/lib/libdl.so.1). However, what to do on systems that don't
provide libz.so (like Solaris 7 and below)?

--
albert chin (china@thewrittenword.com)