httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: Running Apache in the foreground
Date Sat, 05 Jan 2002 00:42:24 GMT
On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 03:59:24PM -0800, Jos Backus wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 08:28:14AM -0800, Aaron Bannert wrote:
> > I see no reason why this can't be implemented in apache2, and I'll
> > even test and commit a patch that properly implements it. :) Sorry
> > I can't offer much more than that. Maybe if I get some more time
> > later this week I can look into it, but the more surefire way to get
> > it in would be to provide a patch.
>
> Here's a patch that appears to dtrt. I chose DONT_FORK as the keyword but I
> would happily change this or any other name to something else, just let me
> know. The main thing is that the patch goes in :-) Btw, the patch is against
> 2.0.28, I hope that is not too big of a problem; I can look into bringing it
> up to HEAD if desired.

A couple things:

This looks good in concept.

This will have to apply to HEAD cleanly, so please modify/test/repost.

I'm not sure I like overloading the use of apr_proc_detach, and I'd prefer
to see us come up with another function. I'm open to suggestions here.
Maybe apr_proc_detach can only fork if it detects we are the process
group leader? Another option would be to move the fork() out of
apr_proc_detach() entirely.

DONT_FORK is misleading, since we're still going to fork() in other
places, just not in the parent process and with the sole purpose of
killing off the original parent. Any reason why this isn't just NEW_SESSID
or something akin to that? Given this patch I don't really see the purpose
of NO_DETACH anymore, so maybe we could just steal that name?

-aaron