httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <>
Subject Re: 2.0.30-dev load spiking [was: upgrade to FreeBSD 4.5-PRERELEASE]
Date Wed, 02 Jan 2002 22:02:24 GMT
On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 12:52:57PM -0800, Aaron Bannert wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 12:46:46PM -0800, Brian Pane wrote:
> > Do you have a way to take a snapshot of each httpd process's stack
> > backtrace?  On Solaris, I'd do this by running /usr/proc/bin/pstack
> > on each pid; I don't know if FreeBSD has a similar functionality.
> > This would give us a picture of what all those runnable processes
> > are doing.
> Ooh, if it does I'd love to find out how. Same goes for a truss that
> can follow children, and a ps command to tell me how many threads are
> in a process.</wishlist>

+1.  =)  I've talked to the FreeBSD people and they just laugh
maniacally when I ask for a truss that follows children.  AIUI,
NetBSD has this, so it is possible to port these changes over,
but it requires an overhaul to procfs from what I've been told.

FreeBSD has a long way to get the stellar debugging capabilities
of Solaris.  -- justin

View raw message