httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/server scoreboard.c
Date Thu, 24 Jan 2002 15:37:16 GMT
> > > Bill,
> > > This triggered a question...
> > >
> > > I have not followed the discussion on this thread closely, but are you requiring
the
> > > ScoreBoardFile directive on Windows to name the shmem?  I hope not.....
> >
> > At this moment, yes, otherwise it defaults to the parent/private, child/private
> > model.  Do you want that changed, effective now, to always have a shared score?
> > It must become a shared score before we can proceed to multi-process, but we
> > aren't quite there, yet.
>
> In the cases where we want/need a shared scoreboard, I would prefer for the parent to
> derive a safe name and tell the child the name. I see no goodness in complicating the
> config with a directive that does not provide a distinct benefit to the user. IMHO, the
> name of the shared segment (and the process for deriving the name) is best kept under
the
> covers.

You didn't answer my question :)  First off, to your response, IF the user
specifies a filename, I strongly believe we use that name.  If the user
leaves ScoreboardFile unspecified, then we do what _we_ feel is best.
I believe this applies to Win32 and Unix, as well, and made that comment
to Aaron's patch.

Now, if the user doesn't specify a ScoreboardFile _today_, then we leave
well enough alone, and the parent and child don't share a scoreboard.
That's fine, until we go to multiple processes.  Unless we want to begin
using the shared score today, always.

As far as our inventing that shared resource [If the user assign the file
backing with ScoreboardFile]; I have a philosophy.  You create the child
detached.  We dup the handle to the shared score to the child's process,
and pass it down the pipe.

We need the apr_os_shm_get/put to make this happen, but that's a trivial
patch.  My Q to you - share a scoreboard, starting today, always?  Or only
if we actually care?  [3rd party module/app or when we get to multi-proc.]

Bill