httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <>
Subject Re: WIN32 build
Date Wed, 23 Jan 2002 15:40:38 GMT
From: "Christian Gross" <>
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2002 4:11 PM

>  >> 2) Everything within the VC++ application is stored within in their
>  >> respective DEBUG directories. With so many pieces now debugging has become
>  >> very difficult. You cannot simply move the DLL since then the debugger
>  >> becomes confused.

One thing we proposed some time back was a Build tree [within the httpd-2.0
directory] that would mirror the real life server;

  httpd-2.0/Apache.dsw [...]

This could be deepened one more level;

  httpd-2.0/Apache.dsw [...]

I would avoid actually using release/build and debug/build since the
release and debug directories are the location for the .obj and other
crufty files we would all want kept out of this tree.

If we were to do this, I would add one intermediate project file (such as
BuildBin) between all the modules, Apache.exe, support binaries, etc. and
the InstallBin project.  It would be a noop that would roll up all builds
but not execute the InstallBin pass.  InstallBin would simply depend upon

If you wanted to create an httpd-2.0/build/debug/conf it would be
trivial to get a running server in that tree.  Of course you would need to
set the debugging flags on the intermediate project including the executable,
working path and command line arguments, along with pre-loaded .so's (so you
can toggle breakpoints.)  We can't create those .opt file settings for
distribution since they are workstation-specific, but once you configured
them they should remain sticky, and that project would simply never change.

If enough folks are interested I'd be happy to make this [trivial] change.

View raw message