httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/docs/manual/mod mod_log_config.html
Date Thu, 10 Jan 2002 03:38:56 GMT
From: "Brian Pane" <brian.pane@cnet.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2002 8:49 PM

> Joshua Slive wrote:
>
> >Wouldn't we be better off designing a fast-path for mod_setenvif that could
> >take something like
> >SetEnvIf REQUEST_URI \.gif$
> >and test it without a regex?  (I admit that I don't know how much work that
> >would be.)
>
> That would work if you could also reduce the O(N) comparisons per request
> to O(1)...without that additional improvement, though, it still won't
> scalewell as the number of SetEnvIf rules increases.

First, this is why I suggested a single regex, of the entire pattern group
of image extensions.  More SetEnvIf lines than necessary is heinious :)

But I agree that somehow, at least sorting SetEnvIf's by variable, would make
much more sense than the present schema.  If we walk the SetEnvIf list in order,
making only one lookup per variable tested, it won't prove nearly as pathetic.