httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: Win32 installer
Date Wed, 09 Jan 2002 20:39:18 GMT
From: "Mladen Turk" <mturk@mappingsoft.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2002 1:52 PM

> Perhaps off the topic, but why we are using commercial setup software for a
> BSD licensed one?
> Cannot figure out what is the sw you are using for the httpd-win32-msi
> project, Install Shiled Pro?
> Take a look at http://www.jrsoftware.org

Because 1. it fits a typical win32 user's expectations, 2. it was written
[by me] at Covalent and donated to Apache, 3. it replaced a then-broken
propritary installer format and scripting (InstallSheildPro 2.0, I think)
and was ment to be the -starting- point for the win32 installer.

That is, it's just an .msi database.  Anyone with the time and inclination
(I've run out recently, may revisit it) can simply take the .msi file, and
propogate it with the current version.

My philosopy on any .msi authoring package is that they simply make pretty
dialog editors, and any modest project like apache should roll it's own
cab, update the files list through the MsiDatabaseApi, and volia.

In any case, since I've supported it, it's terribly irrelevant.  Unless
one of the project members cares to take on that burden, it's whatever
happens to be convenient for me.  Of course I'll share, if anyone else
wants to assist.  [Noone expressed much interest except in using VBScript,
which I naysayed, or continuing the ISPro flavor installer, which I didn't
care to fight with.]

Finally ... I took the cue from ActiveState Perl, if you want to know :)

Bill