httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Stoddard" <b...@wstoddard.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/server scoreboard.c
Date Thu, 24 Jan 2002 16:23:39 GMT

> you
> > requiring the
> > not.....
> > >
> > > At this moment, yes, otherwise it defaults to the parent/private,
> > child/private
> > > model.  Do you want that changed, effective now, to always have a
> shared
> > score?
> > > It must become a shared score before we can proceed to
> multi-process,
> > but we
> > > aren't quite there, yet.
> > >
> > > Bill
> > >

> > In the cases where we want/need a shared scoreboard, I would prefer
> for
> > the parent to
> > derive a safe name and tell the child the name. I see no goodness in
> > complicating the
> > config with a directive that does not provide a distinct benefit to
> the
> > user. IMHO, the
> > name of the shared segment (and the process for deriving the name) is
> best
> > kept under the
> > covers.
>
> Just to be clear, that is not what Unix does now.  If you need a file
> backing the scoreboard, we make you add one.
>
> Ryan

The issue is not whether we need a "file" backing the scoreboard. On Unix, you make the
scoreboard use a file when the OS does not support shared memory. On Unix systems that
support shared memory, we create the shared memory in the parent, fork and the child
processes automagically have access to that shared memory.  Windows does not support fork,
so the shared memory created in the parent needs to become visible to the child processes
some how.  One way to make that shared memory visible is to give it a name that the parent
and child processes know. My question/concern was how to communicate that name. I do NOT
want to REQUIRE an admin to explicitly name the shared memory segment with a config
directive.  If he wants to, fine but it should not be a requirement, just as it is not a
requirement on Unix today.

If my explanation was not sufficient, talk to Bill Rowe, cause I think we see eye-to-eye
on this based on our last exchange. That will save me typing and list subscribers reading
:-)

Bill